Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ahhh.... mornings


(This video is one that someone made up for this song.... I heart it...)

Ok, so I don't always feel so great about mornings but this morning was just grand. Why? Because I decided it would be. The weather is BEAUTIFUL. Just at the edge of Fall, every morning is crisp and the trees are starting to turn colors. It is just chilly enough to put on a colorful cardigan and a scarf (which I own far too many of). As I began my trek through Forest Park this morning I put in my earphones and clicked on my Pandora quickmix. Ingrid serenaded me with "Far Away" much like she is for you right now. When this song is on I can't help but smile. She was followed by Joshua Radin (Closer) and the Eagles (Hotel California.... classic).

Two things I noticed on my walk today:

1.) Music while walking to work puts an unstoppable spring in my step

2.) Ok, so the spring is more like a half-dance half-walk... and people definitely stare as I do this "dance" through the park and across the crosswalk on Kingshighway.

My work day has begun. On my mind today are IPC exams, survey tools, and manuscripts.

Tonight I get trained to be a mentor for Discovering Options which is an after school program that empowers at-risk children from St. Louis City. Soon I will be receiving a 4th or 5th grade mentee who I will get to spend time with every week. I am excited for the opportunity to make a new friend and I hope that my mentee and I will get to explore parts of St. Louis that I have never seen before. More than anything, I am excited to have time each week to do kid things :). I suspect that I will learn as much (if not more) from my mentee as he/she will from me.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: