Friday, September 11, 2009

An affair to remember...


Can you have a love affair with a park? Because if so, I think I am having one. I have been walking through Forest Park in the mornings before work and it is incredible. Maybe it is the dew that makes it smell so delicious, but I seriously have to stop and just take a deep breath every couple of minutes. I work in the Barnes Jewish Hospital so sirens and helicopters are the soundtrack to my work day. But for some reason, in the park, I can't hear these sounds. It is the perfect place for self reflection.

Facts for thought: Did you know, Forest Park was home to the World's Fair in 1904? (Think "Meet me in St. Louis" - man I love Judy Garland). When the park was built, they purposely designed it to get visitors lost so that they could keep them at the fair longer. When the initial plans were made for the park to be built, they were rejected and the park faced significant opposition... I am glad that didn't stop them. It is also 50% bigger than Central Park in New York... all the more space to enjoy!
One of the many wonders of St. Louis, MO.


No comments: