Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Humbling remembrance

Today on my way in to work there was an exhibit on the Holocaust throughout the hallway of the building. It was a chilling reminder of this terrible time in history. I had the opportunity to visit Dachau when I was in Munich three years ago and I still can't erase the pictures etched into my memory.

I think it is important that we have reminders like this exhibit to keep us from forgetting things that have happened in the past. History is often doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from the mistakes that have been made.

I recently read a book set in Nazi Germany called The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It is written from the perspective of Death. The location of the story occurs near Munich. I highly recommend it as a unique approach to the story of the Holocaust. I will definitely never forget.

No comments: