Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Parting truly is sweet sorrow.

Today my office held a going away party for me. While I will still be around for a few more weeks, many of my coworkers (including my mentor) will be going out of town so this was the best day to have it. As a surprise, my coworkers and friends created a scrapbook of notes from each person for me. It was such a meaningful gift and it brought me to tears. I too wrote something for each of them - my thoughts about the time I have shared with them, memories I had. It was a way for us all to show our appreciation for the time we have had together. I want to share some of the quotes that were given to me as part of my scrapbook. I think I will post them in my office next year to keep me going when things seem unachieveable.

"If you are going to be passionate about something, be passionate about learning. If you're going to fight something, fight for those in need. If you're going to question something, question authority. If you're going to lose something, lose your inhibitions. If you're going to gain something, gain respect and confidence. And if you're going to hate something, hate the false idea that you are not capable of your dreams"
-Daniel Golston

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

"There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle"
-Albert Einstein

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito"

"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body"
-Walt Whitman

There were other quotes and incredibly thoughtful words. It is fortunate to find people along your life's path that love you like family does. That have your back and your best interest in their hearts at all times. I have found that with my colleagues and friends in St. Louis and for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments: