Saturday, September 22, 2012

Crossfit saved me.

This morning I woke up and felt like crap.  I wanted to stay in bed, bring the blankets to my face, and just sink deeply into the mattress until I disappeared.  The majority of this feeling was because I stayed up way past my bedtime (Roots 'n' Blues festival... totally worth it).  Regardless, it isn't far from the feeling I have felt many times before, and it reminded me of how far I have come.

For the last few years I have felt that way far more than I haven't.  Sometimes in the afternoon or evening when I would get home from work.  Sometimes for entire weekends when I knew I should be doing something productive.  Really, ever since my mom started getting sicker.  There is a lack of motivation that comes with despair.  When you are faced with a situation that is truly insurmountable, TRULY insurmountable, your bed and sleep seem to be the only solution.  At least for me.

When mom died in February, I truly felt at times as if my body was just wasting away with her.  I knew there was so much that I needed to accomplish but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I felt despair, exhaustion, anger... the entire spectrum of feelings.  I still feel that way a lot of times.  I have spent time over the past 7 months since she died thinking that I should go to therapy, that a counselor might be the solution to the "normal bereavement" associated with losing someone.  I would call people, do the "interview" that comes with the first time meeting a counselor.  None of it felt right.

Then I found Crossfit.  Sure I have been active over the months since mom died.  It was something that I wanted to try to do to keep me sane while studying for boards.  Exercise has always made me feel good.  But Crossfit has changed my life.  I realize with this post that I am running the risk of exposing the Kool-Aid stain on my upper lip... yes, I have chugged the Crossfit Kool-Aid.  I'm still not "paleo" but I have begun the steady trend toward cutting out gluten.  My aunt Molly would be proud.

What is Crossfit?  I think this video says it well:

This month marks the first time that I literally forgot to be sad on the anniversary of mom's death.  Instead, I was at my local "box" working out with some of the coolest, toughest, and funnest people I have had the pleasure of getting to know.


This morning instead of pulling the covers over my head and letting the day take over, I climbed out of bed and made myself go to Crossfit.  I still feel like crap today... but that is again because I'm not 21 anymore.  What I don't feel is sad, depressed, or lonely.  I have found the best therapy for me and I have learned through Crossfit that there are no bounds to my mental, physical, and emotional strength.

2 comments:

ted said...

I stopped at MacDonalds because I couldn't drive another mile...the desert was 111 degrees and I still have another couple of hours to drive...Then I opened my iPad to check some mail and read your blog post...I yawned through the mail, and wondered how long I could stay in here before they threw me out...then...then I read the blog! Somehow, just reading your words lifted the fatigue from my tired bones...it was one of those "Good news from a far country is like cool water to a thirsty soul..." Study on loved one...study on...ted

Ashley said...

I'm so proud of you friend and all you have accomplished, continue to accomplish, and dream to accomplish. You are an insperation and someone I am thankful to have in my life. Thank you for your vulnerability and truth. Love you!